In addition to the standard End-User and Administration guides, the NetWeaver documentation now includes a Portal Developer Guide, which describes for Java developers how to create portal components.
The guide provides background on the major portal services, including descriptions on the service architecture and how to use the service.
The developer guide for SP9/SR1 contains the following topics:
- User Management Engine: A service for authentication and authorization.
- Client Framework (EPCF): A mechanism for client-side eventing and data exchange between iViews.
- Page Builder: A service for rendering a page from the iViews that are on the page.
- Navigation: A service that enables creation of navigation objects in the portal.
- Object-based Navigation: A service that enables creation of navigation objects based on business objects from back-end systems.
- JCO Client Service: A Portal Runtime service that provides JCO clients to iViews.
- Connector Framework: An infrastructure for creating and using connectors to back-end data sources.
- Portal Runtime Technology: A J2EE application that provides the environment for running portal applications.
- SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio Plug-In: A plug-in to the Eclipse IDE that makes it easy to create portal components.
- Developing Well-Performing Portal Applications: A short guide that provides tips and tricks to writing Java code for portal components.
FUTURE PLANS: The guide will provide documentation on new or expanded portal services, and provide instructions on how to write code for accomplishing some of the most common and useful tasks.
In addition, plans are underway to improve the documentation of the Javdocs documentation of the portal’s published APIs, and organize and fill in any gaps in the guide.
After this series on SP9 features, I will write a blog on developer documentation for the portal, how to find what you need and what new documentation is planned.
Previous articles in this series:
- New Features in SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0 SP9
- Portal SP9: Portal Activity Report
- Portal SP9: Portal Content Studio
- Portal SP9: Content Administration
- Portal SP9: Permissions