This Search Utility helps the ABAP Developer to search structures in ABAP Dictionary based on various flexible search criteria. Search utility is an extension to the standard functionality Where Used List and the search through SE84 transaction provided by SAP.
1. Search the Structures by field names. As in, if I choose 10 fields, the utility returns a structure with the same 10 fields.
2. Search the Structures by Data Elements. As in, if I choose 10 data elements, the utility returns a structure with the same 10 data elements.
3. Search the Structures by Data Type. As in, if I choose 10 Data Type with respective lengths, the utility returns a structure with the same 10 data types and the respective elements.
4. In Addition to this we can specify the maximum number of hits in the search criteria and also an option to return the structure containing fieldnames/data elements/data types in the consecutive positions as specified in search criteria.
1. Extensively useful while developing RFC, BAPI in SAP. It promotes re-use by allowing the developer to search if the structure already exists in the ABAP Data Dictionary. Developer can re-use the existing structure.
2. ABAP Data Dictionary is not dumped with the identical structures. It saves memory in the application server.
3. It can be used for general search of structures too.
How to Execute?
Step 1 : Copy the code and paste it in se38 transaction and create the respective includes in se38.
Step 2 : Execute the report in se38.It takes you to the Search Criteria screen.
Initial Selection Screen
Search by Field Name is chosen if the search is based on field names.
Search by Data Element is chosen if the search is based on data elements.
Search by Data Type and Size is chosen if the search is based on data type.
The Parameter No. Of Fields to be matched specifies the number of fields to be searched in a structure.
The Parameter No Of Struc/Tab to be searched specifies the number of hits. As in if I choose 1,utility returns only one structure which contains the specified fields.
If the Search by consecutive Pos is checked then the utility searches for the structures with the fields in consecutive positions and displays it.
Step 3 : Depending on selection criteria chosen in the initial screen a dynamic selection screen is generated at the run time.
Dynamic Selection Screen
Key in the field names to be searched.
Step 4 :Press F8.The output is the structure containing PERNR AND ENAME.
Number of entries in the result screen = Value of No Of Struc/Tab to be searched in the initial screen.
Step 5 : The structure can be verified in ABAP Dictionary if the structure contains the fields PERNR AND ENAME.
Case: If the option Search by consecutive Pos is checked in the initial screen then the utility searches the structure with PERNR AND ENAME in the consecutive positions and displays it.
The structure can be verified in ABAP Dictionary if the structure contains the fields PERNR AND ENAME in consecutive positions.
It is Time for the Reckoning…Can You Take the Heat??
ABAP PUNTERS, here is piece of code elucidating rich concepts of dynamic programming which generates report dynamically at the run time. In addition to it, the selection screen is generated dynamically. Anyone who cracks the code is sure to gain and the same person should work innovatively towards developing new tools.