Skip to Content
Recently I was tasked with the requirement of replacing an existing KM iView that pointed to Publication content in the Suncor portal with a XML form-based solution.

If you’re already with me, you know we’re talking about a Java iView that points to a master iView, formerly the KM navigation application, and to be replaced with the KM xml form web component.

Well, I thought as usual, since we need to ensure any users that currently have that iView sitting on their personalizable portal page don’t lose it, but rather see the new functionality.

So, the obvious thing, from a development perspective, was to just delete the old iView, and build a new one, using the same technical name, such that when it migrated through the test/QA and production environments it merely overwrote the configuration for that iView with that specific technical name. So, one would think. But, no sir, SAP likes to make things fun and interesting. As soon as I saved the new iView, it reverted back to the seemingly persistent old settings (pointing to the old master iView with its old associated parameters). And, wouldn’t you know it, SAP loves to make it such that you can’t change your master iView in a Java-based iView after it is saved.

Well, with a little creativity and typically a strong desire to do things the non-supported and non-recommended way, I found a little hack that worked for me. Basically, to do the following:

1. Leave the old iView wherever it is in any environment (dev, test or prod, etc). But, create a brand new iView with all the proper settings (desired master iView and parameters included).

2. Export this new iView to wherever, in your dev or sandbox environment preferrably.

3. Then in the .IVU file, replace the technical name for the new iView’s export with that of the original (the one you wish to replace).

4. Import this iView with the ‘Overwrite All’ option selected for the ‘Overwrite behaviour for existing content’ choice.

Presto! This will overwrite the old iView with the new changes you desired and you can use this same export to migrate the changes across all your environments.

I’ve been told that waiting several hours or after a full reboot, the standard method would work – but I’ve found that is far from the truth.

This is not a sign of the bugginess of SAP Portal, it is just that maybe the PCD is a little over-persistent (like a parent is over-protective). Notice a pattern here? Anyhow, hope this helps others. And, I’m quite sure this is not limited to just iViews, but Worksets, Pages, Roles and so forth. Give it a try, and let me know whether I’m not just living in a fantasy world.

-Vis-

To report this post you need to login first.

3 Comments

You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.

    1. Viswanath Naidu Post author
      Hi Mark,

      It’s great to be back.  I’ve been going through some personal and professional growing pains and that is why I’ve not been able to contribute as I did originally.  Anyhow, I’m back in fine form and I hope I can contribute some valuable content to this great site, something we certainly needed a long time ago.  Take care and thanks for the great support and encouragement.  I hope that our paths my cross, in person, some day and we can go for a pint and chat tech talk ’till the cows come home. 

      On the theme of this article, I’m sure many folks have gone through this same experience and found it frustrating.  I’m sure SAP will have had this little glitch fixed by EP6 (something we hope to see around the Suncor networks soon).  Stay tuned…

      (0) 

Leave a Reply