Traditionally(:D as if portals has been that old) SAP has given portal consultants three broad roles – Implementation Consultant, Development Consultant, KM Consultant. But if you have been in long enough you would find yourself switching between these three and much more different roles. To give it a another prespective just look at the number of teams you would interacting at a client
- Infrastruture/LAN Group All those portal environments need to be set in the LAN so this the first group you might interact. So the hat you might wear over here could very well be of a IT Infrastructure Dude. These guys are famous for thier Landscaping(pun intended) skills.
- Security Group Now is the good time to wear your LDAP/User Management hat. As these guys are going to talk to you all about users, groups, schema permissions and sychronization etc. Be ready to fight the permissions battle as you will have to prove why do you need to give so much permissions to the user who is installing portal.
- BASIS Group Time for some SSO and related fun. A very important group. Respect these guys 😉 This might be the linch pin of implementation.Having a lil bit of BASIS knowledge always help in this group.
- Developers Content development at work over here. Gear up with your Java or ASP books. Start making rounds to SDN. Read my articles 😀
- Functional/Business The power users of the implementation. Be senstive to their needs. You gotta be a good listener and bring that charm of yours and donot use more than two TLA in a sentence.
This in no way is a comprehensive list of roles you would be see out there. But still covers the most important ones.