Due to the popularity of my last crowd sourced summary I thought I would continue on with the social collaboration. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the conversation using the event hashtag #SBS2012.
The Social Business Summit 2012 was held in London on June 21st 2012. The event was organised by Dachis Group and sponsored by IBM.
The event featured keynotes from some of the most influential thought leaders from the world of social business. The line up included:-
- Sandy Carter – VP of Social Business Evangelism and Sales at IBM
- Christine Spivey Overby, Forrester Research Vice President, Role Manager – Interactive Marketing
- Paul Richards, Royal Bank of Scotland Head of Technology Solution Centre & Collaboration Technologies
- Nilofer Merchant, Nasdaq-traded EPAX, Buyosphere and Modewalks Corporate Director
- Dave Gray, Dachis Group Senior Vice President
- Simon Andrews, addictive Founder
- Vincent Boon, giffgaff/Telefonica Chief of Community
- Michael Jones, Dachis Group VP of Technology
- Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino, Designswarm Founder
- Davide Casali, Dachis Group Senior UX Designer/Consultant
- Lee Bryant, Dachis Group Managing Director, Europe
Great to be in a place with so many like minded people #sbs2012
For the benefit of anyone who couldn’t attend or for anyone who would like a recap, I have compiled this article featuring what were, in my opinion, the key tweets and quotes from the day. It features a compilation of some of the things that were said on the day by the speakers and the opinions of those in the audience. I narrowed down the many hundred of tweets into just 63. Too much good stuff to get into a shorter list sorry!
Hopefully it should give you an idea of the summit and some of the ideas discussed.
I have also added some photos of the event onto my Facebook page
We largely talk about external motivations (i.e. money) or intrinsic (passion) but what about relational motivations? #SBS2012
Henry Ford being quoted at #sbs2012. So why did people want a faster horse? Go back to their needs. They wanted to get there faster.
RFID chip is now about $.10 a piece. So no reason to not build instrumentation + data on anything. #SBS2012
Great question about how to measure success of a social business. Surely it depends on the business objectives? #sbs2012
Giff Gaff: Importance of being open & honest about the big picture/business needs when putting price in the hands of customers #sbs2012
Giffgaff haven’t developed any apps, their community members have released their own. Talk about brand loyalty! #sbs2012
#sbs2012 Idea of social customer service. Metric: for every 1 who complains 25 don’t. 90% online trust recommendations from people they know
#sbs2012 given £1.2m back to the network One customer earned £30k pa from helping out.
There are millions of people with these devices in their pocket, and it’s time to think about mobile 1st. #sbs2012
#sbs2012 A person is more likely to buy something in a store if they speak with the same sales person > 3 times. call centres take note
“Amazon Price Check may be Evil But It’s the Future” <– Truth. #SBS2012
Average life of search to action on desktop = 3 weeks. On mobile, it’s one hour. #sbs2012
If banks crowd sourced opinions on investment opportunity business model sthey could lower risk? #sbs2012
Within the team, only 5% know the strategy. The other 95% are just being told what to do. #sbs2012
Social business is a way of doing business, social media is just the platform/network you use to do it #sbs2012