How do you find inspiration?
For many, the simplest ideas articulated in the form of a short quote can help you to think a little clearer, to move a little faster, to work a little harder, to drive toward a loftier goal.
So to help you, I have curated a list of what I believe are the 22 best marketing quotes.
You’ll see some familiar marketing greats like Ogilvy, Drucker, Godin and Kawasaki. You’ll also see some broader marketing concepts from Benjamin Franklin, William Shakespeare and more.
I hope there is a little nugget here in these Marketing quotes for just about everyone. I hope you find some inspiration to focus your marketing strategy and to start down the path to great success.
- “The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.” ~ Peter F. Drucker
- “The sole purpose of marketing is to sell more to more people, more often and at higher prices. There is no other reason to do it.” ~ Sergio Zyman
- “The aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous.” ~ Peter Drucker
- “What really decides consumers to buy or not to buy is the content of your advertising, not its form.” ~ David Ogilvy
- “Instead of one-way interruption, web marketing is about delivering useful content at precisely the right moment when a buyer needs it.” ~ David Meerman Scott, Author, The New Rules of Marketing and PR
- “Business has only two functions – marketing and innovation.” ~ Milan Kundera (Most people attribute this to Peter Drucker who clearly borrowed from the author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being when he said :)
- “Because it is its purpose to create a customer, any business enterprise has two – and only these two – basic functions: marketing and innovation.” ~ Peter Drucker
- “Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.” ~ Seth Godin
- “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “Marketing is too important to be left to the marketing department.” ~ David Packard
- “Content is King!” ~ Bill Gates
- “If you have more money than brains you should focus on outbound marketing. If you have more brains than money, you should focus on inbound marketing.” ~ Guy Kawasaki
- “Marketing wants ‘Mr. Right’ but Sales but wants ‘Mr. Right Now’” ~ Unknown
- “What helps people, helps business.” ~ Leo Burnett
- “The aim of marketing is to get customers to know, like and trust you.” ~ Unknown
- “Marketing takes a day to learn. Unfortunately it takes a lifetime to master.” ~ Phil Kolter
- “Advertising in the final analysis should be news. If it is not news it is worthless.” ~ Adolph Ochs
- “We need to stop interrupting what people are interested in & be what people are interested in.” ~ Craig Davis, Chief Creative Officer of J. Walter Thompson
- “The purest treasure mortal times can afford is a spotless reputation.” ~ William Shakespeare
- “Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Which is your favorite? Did I miss one? Let me know what you think in the comments below. Check out my original thoughts on the best marketing quotes and follow the conversation on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook or Google+.