Author Archives: Matthew Talbot
Peer-to-peer (P2P) mobile money transfer is a huge business, both domestic and international, and growing. The results from the GSMA Global Mobile Money Adoption Survey released at Mobile World Congress showed that during the month of June 2012, there were: 30 million …
Over 3 million per week: that’s how many mobile payments Starbucks processes in the U.S late March when the company had its annual shareholders meeting. Mobile now accounts for around 10 percent of Starbucks’ total transactions in the country. For …
Bank Negara Malaysia has recently launched a new mobile payment channel called MyMobile through its wholly owned subsidiary Malaysian Economic Clearing Corporation (MyClear). For the kickoff, MyMobile has teamed up with the country’s three largest banks, CIMB, Maybank and Public Bank, as …
Mobile traffic to electric company websites shot up 16,000 percent in the days after Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast of the US late last year. Millions of people without power turned to their mobiles to get information about outages and when electricity would be restored.
Banking has come a long way from the famously inconvenient “bankers’ hours” of years past; i.e. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Increasingly, consumers are doing their banking whenever and wherever they want.
A few weeks ago, I posted about the recent Square round of funding and how there’s a battle going on over control of the point-of-sale (POS)—and it’s not only about [...]
A U.S. federal report released in September found that 8.2 percent of households in the country are unbanked. That’s nearly 10 million households, and 17 million adults. Another 20.4 percent are underbanked—or [...]
In September of this year, mobile payments provider Square announced that it had raised $200 million. Investors included, among others, Starbucks Coffee Company—a surprise for many in the mobile payments [...]
According to the World Bank’s Financial Inclusion Data, just 10 percent of the population of Pakistan has a bank account. That leaves 90 percent without one. As I mentioned in [...]
The M-PESA mobile money transfer and payments service took the world by surprise in 2007 when it debuted a successful business based on serving an previously underserved population: the rural [...]